Tunbridge Wells - Kent - Interactive Map
Click on one of the locations below - Then use the zoom bar for fine tuning

Tunbridge Wells Interactive Map - Click on one of the locations below - Zoom bar for fine tuning

  • Tunbridge Wells

    This cheerful former spar town grew up amid the Wealden forests after Lord North discovered its chalybeate spring in 1606. Until that time there were only a few scattered cottages and farms hereabouts, so Tunbridge Wells has no medieval or Tudor buildings. The initial visitors roughed it in cottages, lodged in nearby towns or, like Queen Henrietta Maria, camped out on the common. Building began in 1638 when a grassy promenade, called the Walk, was laid out beside the spring and visitor 'took the waters' in the morning and socialised afterwards. Later, the Walk was paved with square earthenware tiles, giving rise to its present name, The Pantiles.
    Tunbridge Wells grew haphazardly and informally, and is a very attractive town, its charm arising from the 18th and 19th century elegance including Decimus Burton's Calverley Park and Calverley Park Terrace, and the buildings on Mount Sion and Mount Ephrahim. The common is a superb open space, while the most famous area, The Pantiles, is in effect an 18th century shopping precinct: a raised paved walkway shaded by lime trees, and fronted by shops behind a colonnade, which gives uniformity to otherwise varied architecture.

More Info

(JavaScript must be enabled)

Home
About Us
Kentpoi is a free resource.
We seek to offer our visitors something entertaining, interesting and relevant every time they visit this website.

We are constantly updating the content of this website based on the feedback from our audience.

Advertise on this website?

Target Specific Advertising

Terms & Conditions

Terms & Conditions

Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

Contact
Our Friends
Stacks Image 6363

Kentculture - Promoting Talent
Kentculture

Stacks Image 6367

Website designed and maintained by Themeweavers

Kent Tourism Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages